Why Disable Ads in Google Chrome?
In recent years, the number of ads that you see on every website has increased. In many cases, these ads don’t affect the overall user experience. However, in other cases, the ads become annoying since they have features like flashing graphics and autoplay audio. The issue becomes even more prominent when these ads are blocking parts of the website, thus preventing you from enjoying its content.
Luckily, Google Chrome has some tools that can help you with this issue. Even though there is no way of avoiding online ads altogether, you can still limit them and experience smoother navigation.
In this article, you are going to learn how to disable ads in Google Chrome, as well as turn off ads that are personalized to your info and interests.
How to Block Pop-Up Ads
Pop-up ads can become very annoying. In many cases, the developers create overlay pop-ups that prevent you from accessing the website’s content. However, you can easily learn how to disable ads in Google Chrome and get rid of these irritating pop-ups. Below, you will find how to turn them off on various devices.
The step to turn off the pop-ups on your computer are the following:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on the three dots icon at the top right of your browser. From the menu, click Settings.
- From the menu on the left, click “Privacy and security”. Then, click “Site settings”.
- Find and click “Pop-ups and redirects”.
- The default behaviour of Google Chrome is to disable pop-ups. From this menu, you can turn it on and off.
On Android Devices
The process for Android devices is the following:
- Tap on the Google Chrome icon to launch the app.
- Tap on the three dots icon at the top right of your browser, and then, tap Settings.
- From the menu, tap “Permissions”, and then, “Pop-ups and redirects”.
- From there, you can turn pop-ups on and off.
On iOS Devices
If you own an iOS device, such as an iPhone or iPad, the process is the following:
- Launch the Google Chrome app by tapping the icon on your home screen.
- Tap the three horizontal dots icon at the top right of your browser, and then, tap Settings.
- From the menu, tap “Content Settings”, and then, tap “Block Pop-ups”.
- From there, you can turn the pop-ups off and on.
How to Remove Unwanted Ads
In addition to turning off pop-ups, you can also remove unwanted ads from a single advertiser. This applies both to Google services and on websites that have partnered with Google to display ads.
On Google Services
- When an ad appears on Google Search on your mobile device, you can tap the info icon, and tap the option “Why this ad”. Then, you can choose to turn it off by disabling the option “Show ads from [advertiser]”.
- When you are on YouTube, you can click the info icon, and then, the option “Stop seeing this ad”.
- When you are on Gmail, you can click the info icon, and then, the option “Control ads like this”. Then, click “Block this advertiser”.
On Various Websites
When you see an unwanted ad on other websites, you can remove it by clicking on the X icon. Then, you can either select “Stop seeing this ad” or “Report this ad”, if it violates any of Google’s policies.
How to Turn Off Personalized Ads
Lastly, you can also turn off personalized ads. The process to do that is the following:
- Launch Chrome and go to your Google Account.
- From the menu on the left, click “Data & personalization”.
- For the ad personalization panel, and click “Go to ad settings”.
- This will take you to a page, where you will see the message “Ad personalization is ON”. Turn off the toggle.
Through these simple steps, you have learned how to disable ads in Google Chrome and control your navigation experience.